incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Apache CMS Workflow and a Key Question
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 20:39:03 GMT
Kay's questions on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OOo-to-ASF-site-recommendation
have helped me focus on how to enable website contributions.

I really like the Apache CMS. Here is possible a workflow that would allow non-committers
to be able to contribute patches to both AOOo content and the site build we implement over
the Apache CMS.

Workflow would be something like this:

(1) Setup prerequisite software - Python-Markdown, DITA ...

(2) svn checkout of the AOOo documentation / website repository including scripts.

(3) Contributor edits documentation files - mdtext, html, javascript, css, dita(?), ....

(4) Contributor performs test staging builds on their local machine in order to test the results
in complete isolation.
This is a critical requirement. We should want to allow non-committers to easily test ideas
without needing a committer to hold their hand with every little design tweak they would like
to try.

(5) When the contributor has updated content ready then they can proceed by according to
	(a) Non-committer - submit an svn diff as a patch.
	(b) Committer - perform an svn commit which triggers an actual staging build.

Here is the question. What is the script that performs the staging? In the Apache CMS it is
triggered by a commit, but for local use, the contributor has to run a version of that script.
I know that it will somehow invoke one of these:

./site/trunk/lib/path.pm
./site/trunk/lib/view.pm

Looking for the answer and also comments on this workflow.

Best Regards,
Dave