incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Danese Cooper <dan...@gmail.com>
Subject OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 23:07:06 GMT
It isn't just a matter of who gets more hits on Google. In 2000, the OpenOffice name was not
trademarkable worldwide (and probably still is not) without the .org. OTOH, the ASF doesn't
normally seek to register all it's trademarks worldwide because of cost (in the US, first
use of a mark is significant enough)...but if Oracle is transferring it's trademarks to the
ASF (and if it's the worldwide trademark, then it's worth about $350,000 USD), then we're
back to dealing with the .org, I'm afraid.

Danese

Kay Shenk wrote:

-Yeah, once upon a time, when you did a search on "Open Office", the *other* office suite,
whoever owned this brand, came up (like maybe 6+ years ago). Now it doesn't, but we should
ascertain the status or history of this before changing the product/brand name I think, just
to be safe.