incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <>
Subject Re: Commiters list
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 18:53:25 GMT
Hi Dave,

Le 14 juil. 11 à 20:13, Dave Fisher a écrit :
>> I did. But I thought we could contribute with patches without sign
>> it.
> Yes, but if you do it that way you are not a Committer, not on the
> PPMC, and not on the Podling Status Page. Someone with Committer
> karma must commit your patches for you.

Yes, I got this point already.

>>> Simply put, it's not about copyright, just about IP clearance and
>>> licensing. Both are important aspects of every software project.
>>> It's understandable that the ASF does not accept contributions
>>> where it is unclear if the contributor has the necessary rights
>>> for the contributed code.
>> Yes, sure. IWe got students who would like to directly contribute
>> to, and I'll forward the info.
> Signing an ICLA is a requirement to be a Committer, but it is not
> the only requirement. The main requirement is merit earned by
> contributions to the existing project here. See http://

Ok. I did the first step, and I sent the signed ICLA (following the

To be honest, IBM Symphony contribution and your explanation decided
me :)

> Initial Committers are a special case, the only merit required is
> signing up on the list.
> Your students will need to contribute via the method of submitting
> patches which will be evaluated and applied by Committers.

Usualy, we review the code twice, and test everything before to
commit for them, but in the current case, I think they could
contribute to the OOo build system directly and more, so I'll
advertise them about the ICLA.

Eric Bachard

Education Project:
Projet OOo4Kids :