incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 23:28:56 GMT

On Jul 3, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Jean Weber wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 05:39, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> It sure does look like it is worth a try. It also looks like it may require some
configuration within Kenai to get the export. If someone wants to get a proper export from
Kenai's Media Wiki admins (or the proper access to run UWC).

> I may be wrong, but I think we're mixing up two things here: the OOo
> *website* (under Kenai) and the OOo *wiki* (under Mediawiki). I don't
> think they are the same at all, and what needs to be done to bring
> them into the Apache system isn't the same.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I am currently thinking that we should fold website/Kenai content
towards a combination of mdtext, html, javascript and css into the current podling website.

> Clayton's recent posts have been about the *wiki* (after saying that
> there is essentially nothing left on the website of importance in the
> Documentation area).

Good point. Let's separate the efforts. It looks like the website is a larger effort.

Raphael attached some directory listings for the foreign language sites. These look like they
are made to parallel the main openoffice.org website.

Back to the website.

(1) An initial test could focus on the current main page in English followed by versions in
several languages. This will need to script the conversion of existing webcontent from Kenai
into format for the Apache CMS.

(2) A second focus would be on the Kenai content for one of the product development areas.
This script may be substantially different.

(3) A third focus would be building the documentation area. If a wiki is preferred then we
should create a website page that provides good links.

(4) A fourth focus for the website migration is how to best integrate the project's choices
for Bugzilla or JIRA, user forums, and mailing lists.

>> Tell us about the MediaWiki extension that is being used, is it part of OOo or is
it a third party extension?

> AFAIK, it's a standard extension provided by MediaWiki, though I don't
> know more details. Clayton or someone else can be more specific.

(5) MediaWiki to Apache Wiki can be a separate effort as described in another part of this
thread.

Regards,
Dave