incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Drini Nosi <drini.in...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OOO and LibreOffice.
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 08:54:06 GMT
As I read this thread, it makes me a bit sad to see that the community of the OpenSourceOffice
is actually splitting in two, and I don't understand why.

I am not a developer, just a user, so I don't understand the technicalities. I can understand
the differences between the licenses and their meaning to the developers, but wouldn't it
been better to have ONE open project? If LibreOffice would have not started, then Apache OpenOffice.org
would have not happened.

TDF promisses an open and friendly environment to contribute. I don't (HONESTLY) understand
why the developers don't want to contribute to LibreOffice, but want to spilt the project
in two? (Speaking in user terms).

From one side, the concurrence can be good because it makes the participants of the two projects
strive to make something better then the other, but at the end this is a voluntary BIG project
(LibreOffice + Apache OpenOffice.org).

Why not be ONE project?

I don't see differences in feature visions, only differences on names and brands, and maybe
also licenses. Only about structures. LibreOffice is a great start, why make a second best
start? As a result LibreOffice+Apache OpenOffice.org will have a long start because split.

I have meant for a long time to make this questions.

Best regards and hoping that the two projects will be ONE, lets say also a federation :)

Drini.