incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 23:41:04 GMT

On 8 Jul 2011, at 00:04, Jerry Kemp wrote:

> One of the reasons I have stuck with OO and have not looked further into
> LO was the fact that binaries were not provided for my preferred
> desktop, Solaris.  Specifically, I primarily use either OpenSolaris
> Nevada or OpenIndiana.
>
> A (more than high level but not completely extensive)  search of the LO
> web site and email archives did not yield very much regarding *Solaris
> support.
>
> My yahoo-fu turned up this, at least acknowledging its existence.
>
> http://www.libreoffice.org/welcome/readme.html
>
> However, this post paints a somewhat darker picture.
>
> http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/msg07091.html

Since I'm still on the Illumos advisory board, I have asked TDF about this. I was told there's
no obstacle to releasing on Solaris, but there's been no-one on the team so far with the hardware,
skills or time to actually build it, as Cor mentions in that latter post you cite. I've been
reaching out to various potential sponsors looking for volunteers but so far I've drawn a
blank. If you're willing & able to do it they'd love to hear from you. I figure the situation
will be similar at Apache, since people here "scratch their own itch".

I agree with Rob that we don't have to make any decisions yet about what binaries are created,
but if you know people who could do this work, now is a fine time to get them up to speed
(maybe on LibreOffice to stretch their wings) so they can start work when the repo is ready
:-)

Cheers

S.