incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r792168 - in /websites/production/openofficeorg: ./ content/openofficeorg/people.html
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 16:39:13 GMT
----- Original Message ----

That isn't useful feedback.  Useful feedback would be something like:
the table columns break the text into two rows on whitespace-separated text.
Or is it the reverse, that you *want* them to break into two rows (
in which case you have a bug because that's not what happens on my
screen)?

> > Would  simply using &nbsp; between the text words resolve this?
>
> Perhaps, so.  I'll be experimenting with the headers. But for me knowing pixels
>is a little  easier than counting &nbsp;

No that's not what I meant for you to do.  What I meant was, look at the
longest entry in each column and replace the separating whitespace in
that one entry with &nbsp;.  If your problem is columns breaking prematurely
this will resolve it.

> >> Maybe someone should  enhance  markdown  extras.
> >>
> >>  http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/extra/#table
> >>
> >>  All  it can do is control the alignment. Width control ought to be allowed,

> >> either  that or an id / class tag to actually tie it in with  specific css.
> >>
> >> |  Item      | Value  |
> >> | ------200 | --:100|
> >> | Computer   | $1600  |
> >> | Phone     |   $12 |
> >> | Pipe        |    $1 |
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > You do realize that the CMS allows you to do arbitrary things with the
>markdown,
> > including preprocessing it before sending it off to the  templating system.
>Also
> > the python markdown parser is extensible,  so if you prefer going that way
>and
> > contributing code to infra we can  add a custom extension for everyone to
>use.
>
> Yes, I do. I am currently  thinking about the OOo webcontent and conversion of
>the html.

We have an xslt file somewhere in the conversion-utilities directory
that converts tables to markdown-style tables, if you decide to go that way
(and I strongly recommend you do).  It's currently embedded in the
anakia stuff but can easily be extracted.

> There will  be thousand of pages, but hopefully not too many patterns.
>

> >> Otherwise I really don't see why  it's wrong to  have the html table here.
> >
> > If you had examined the content of  the table you might have noticed how
>bloody
>
> > awful
> > the html was  (filled with unmatched tags).  What you have now is far more
> >  maintainable
> > in a collaborative context- humans make terrible html  parsers.
>
> Agreed. Not everyone has written lexers and parsers.
>
> I'm  just frustrated by the movement of the  controls.

Change happens. ;-)