incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Danese Cooper <dan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 15:34:31 GMT
If you want a legal opinion, please forward a request to legal-discuss@apache.org

My non-legal (and non-binding) response is that I believe OpenOffice.org is a valuable (read:
 "already paid for") worldwide trademark. We could seek to establish a new trademark using
Apache in the name to make it sufficiently unique, but the ASF doesn't normally spend money
to secure worldwide rights.

By the way, HP is slip-streaming the common-knowledge popularity of OpenOffice...which is
a normal tactic...but they are doing so as a calculated risk. I'm betting Sun or Oracle lawyers
already sent warning notices, and we will probably have to as well (once we come to own the
trademark).