incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Easy tasks and mentoring
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:32:13 GMT
Hi Ross,

Le 8 juil. 11 à 00:41, Ross Gardler a écrit :

>> I'm not sure to fully understand. Can you explain more please ?
>
> Sure.
>
> When typing my email about encouraging the project to offer "easy
> tasks" with mentors it occurred to me that the education project
> may already have some efforts to help new developers become engaged
> with the project.

Indeed, we are used to such easy tasks, and even more (me since 2006,
and Education Project since end 2007). And I confirm, EducOOo would
be glad to contribute (as I told Martin Hollmichell and Ingrid  vdM
privately)

We use to work with students, and their schools, and we try to
explain how we hacked the code online (yet on the wiki).

Important : the OpenOffice.org developers often helped us, and they
had a big role in the story too. Philipp Lohmann, Stephan Schaefer,
Franck Schonheit, Thorsten Behrens, Stephan Bergmann, Herbert Düer,
Mathias Bauer, Thomas Lange, and a lot of other Sun/Oracle devs were
fantastic with us.  Apologies for the one I forgot to mention :-/

The initial idea was : instead of diving with boring QA, prefer have
Fun with a forked version of OpenOffice.org, for instance OOo4Kids or
OOoLight (no Java, 40% lighter than OpenOffice.org), and imagine new
features, hack and so on.

When the code desserves it, we propose it for integration (can be
refused of course). OOo4Kids and OOoLight are LGPLv3, but we have no
problem to relicense the code for Apache OpenOffice.org. The
annotation mode, made by students from Ecole Centrale Nantes, and
reverserd to OpenOffice.org

> If that is the case then I obviously don't want to step on your
> existing work through the ComDev work, I'd rather work with you to
> make the efforts complimentary.

There is place for all, and we'd be glad to work with you. FYI, I
already contacted Martin Hollmichel in this sense, and he's preparing
a list of tasks.

The collaboration could start with developers able to work with us.
e.g. one or two hour from time to time, join our IRC channel, and
answer students questions, and so on, participate to IRC meetings,
when designing a feature, and so on.

We currently have 11 students from Epitech Paris who applied to
EducOOo, for the period july to early december (yes, now ...). This
is too much for us, because we have not the resources to mentor them
all (5 for sure, max could be 6 or 7), but it would be great if other
OpenOffice.org developers agree to join the effort ?  (Any candidate
to help us ?)

More information on our list of schools who participated is available
here -> http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/WelcomeStudents

The features are proposed by teachers or the students, and when
everybody agrees, we implement what we can. Once implemented, we
explain the changes in the code, and put it online (our wiki). Some
examples :

New Start Center : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/
NewStartCenterBehavior
Toolbars and levels : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/
ToolbarsAndUserLevel
New cursors :  http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/AddNewCursors
Protected preferences : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/
PasswordProtectedPreferences  (the page has been seen more than
27,000 times ... )

+  Online ClassRooms http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/ClassRooms

and so on

As you can see, the list of possibilities is very long, there is a
lot to do with schools, and the Education Project + OpenOffice.org is
really a good compromise to introduce FOSS.

Regards,
Eric Bachard

--
qɔᴉɹə