incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: An introduction and a discussion about the OpenOffice User Forums
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:08:45 GMT
Hi Terry,

On Jul 31, 2011, at 1:52 PM, TerryE wrote:

> On 31/07/11 20:05, Rob Weir wrote:

<snip>

>> But so far no one has stepped up to migrate the forums or start something new.
> Not quite correct.  I have previously discussed my supporting the rehoming both the forums
and the wiki on Apache infrastructure with you and other project members off DL

I think that you have now clearly stepped up, and before on this mailing list we were hearing
information indirectly.

> Migrating this knowledge to another application which does not preserve logical data
models (viz any other application) would be a project beyond the capability of this team.

So far, it seems.

>> On the customizations, are they purely UI, or do we have functional
>> patches as well?
>
> See http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:TerryE/phpBB3.0.7_Upgrade/Closed_Issues_and_Actions#Forum_Customisation

This is great information!

>> Apache has a "menu" of services it makes available to projects,
>> including wikis, mailings lists, Subversion repositories, etc. If we
>> want to get something added to that "menu", like phpBB, then we need
>> volunteers to work with Apache Infrastructure to get it supported.
>> This would require a critical mass of admin volunteers able and
>> willing to support phpBB.
> I agree.  The alternative to getting this support within Apache.org is to discard the
knowledge in 300,000 posts across the 9 forums.  The user community forums would probably
explore alternatives if this looked likely to happen.  The OOo wiki contains 10,521 content
pages and  11.338 uploaded files.  These form a critical service to the end-user community.
 Note that the cwiki markup format doesn't support many of the MediaWiki specific markups
in this content.

Supporting a MediaWiki like supporting phpBB is something that can certainly be considered.
What's required is that the Apache OOo community provide enough support to infrastructure
so that the job can get done.

Do you feel a MediaWiki transition is a larger or smaller project?

Regards,
Dave