incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Commiters list and the students
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:58:02 GMT

On Jul 14, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> I'm delighted to see that you are submitting your iCLA.
>
> Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I want to point out that registration of an
iCLA is a prerequisite for becoming a committer, but it is not sufficient.  There must also
be an invitation (which only Initial Committers have automatically) and a few others steps
to establish the committer.

> Finally, because we are talking about students, it may be necessary to be careful about
submitting the work of others.  (This may be a case where having registered an iCLA may be
valuable whether or not a student becomes a committer in the time in which they are involved
with the project.)  I'm not sure how this works for minors.

It is long thread, but last month the INcubator debated and voted to retire what was essentially
a student project in China - Bluesky. Some of the concerns and problems encountered may help
you understand some of the special issues with students and the Apache model of open, community
development.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201106.mbox/%3C4E096B7E.8010905@apache.org%3E

Regards,
Dave