incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TerryE <...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: Questions: LAMP and PHPBB for OpenOffice.org
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:14:25 GMT
Hi Wolf,

Long time, no speak.  It would be good to catch up.

On 31/07/11 23:15, Wolf Halton wrote:
> Hi Terry,
> Welcome to the party!
> I have heard that database software runs less well on VMs and I am working
> on developing a project using postgresql at work to test that.

Yup, but the main issue here is for I/O intensive apps, unless the
virtualisation technology has accelerated I/O paths (for example VMware
ESX does this).  With the forums if the VM has a 2Gb or more then enough
content is memory cached that I/O performance isn't really an issue
whatever the VM technology.

MediaWiki is a different story.  It is D/B heavy.  However, most of the
current access is guest access so using a Squid or Varnish cache would
drop the database I/O by a factory of up to 10 with current transaction
patterns.  We can work these issues.  And yes, I can move back from
MySQL to PostgreSQL as the forums used to run on this in the past, but
its another task on the migration plan that I would prefer to avoid.

Regards Terry