incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TerryE <...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: Questions: LAMP and PHPBB for OpenOffice.org
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:46:27 GMT
On 31/07/11 23:09, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip>
> I would imagine that these services would be hosted on project managed
> virtual machines of some form and whoever manages them now would
> continue to manage them. The central infra team may end up managing some
> aspects such as DNS. The detail can be worked on as part of the
> incubation process.
>
> The much more important question is who will support it. There have been
> far too many examples of projects requesting a service, promising to
> help support it and then never being heard from again when it needs
> maintenance. If the current maintenance is performed by Oracle rather
> than the community there will be concerns about the viability of that model.
>
> On a related note, infrastructure will not tolerate project managed
> systems that are insecure. We will shut them down first and ask
> questions later. Projects are expected to keep on top of security for
> the services that they manage. We do arrange things so projects can only
> shoot themselves in the foot but will still expect security to be
> maintained.
>
> Mark

Mark,

I've been administering the forums for 4 years, including bringing on 8
new languages, a migration from PostgreSQL to MySQL (when Sun bought
MySQL LoL), and 5 phpBB upgrades.  The only service outages that we've
had were when there were H/W problems in the Sun Datacentre.  I've
automated just about all of the housekeeping, so there is no daily /
weekly / monthly manual invention required.  So I think that we have a
good track record here.

The wiki is more problematic since this was run by Oracle employees who
have now been 'let-go'.   However, I used to help with the main guy with
advice on Apache / MediaWiki / PHP / MySQL tuning and so I know  and
have interactive access to the systen.  I can rehost this and continue
to run it on a 'sustain' basis so that we can continue to provide the
service until the project works out its migration / retirement plans.

Yes, I am a single point of failure, but I am more than willing to
document the SysOps and or train up someone else.   It's just that
there's a dearth of LAMP developer / admins amongst the OOo user
community.  Another member of the ooo-dev list used help until I
automated everything and he had other priorities in the project.  I used
to be the operations CTO for EDS in Europe before I retired early and
went back to the simple stuff as a hobby, so I understand all about the
security side!

I've got D/R / maintenance copies of both the forums and the wiki on a
couple of standard Ubuntu 10.04-3 LTS VMs, but if you have any
guidelines / VM templates / management interface documentation then send
me a copy and I'll reflect them in my plans / work.

And BTW, a simple Q:  what virtualisation technology are using in your
prod environment? VMware, KVM or what?

Regards Terry