incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:17:35 GMT

On 07/30/2011 03:28 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>> On 07/30/2011 11:37 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> On another list, I saw a comment from Roy Fielding that resonated
>>> with me.  Others have mentioned it, but not here on ooo-dev.
>>>
>>> My interpretation is that we could have Apache ooo as the identifier
>>> of the core Apache project built on what we factor out of the Oracle
>>> grant, leaving OpenOffice.org as a web site and a family of
>>> distributions and support for end-user and adopter/integrator
>>> activities that reach out beyond the development of a buildable
>>> open-source code base.
>>
>> This seems like a GREAT idea to me assuming it can be "done" vis a vis
>> current conditions -- the Apache way, etc. Also see below
>>

> That has been the plan since the start.  We eventually have an
> openoffice.apache.org web site that has the project-facing website and
> services, like source repositories, dev lists, work by translators,
> documentation, etc.  This is the web site where those who make OOo
> work, the project community.

Well OK, at some point I got very confused by what this meant I guess.
Should I take this remark openoffice.apache.org will be primarily the
stop off for what I'll call "code developers"?

> Then we have http:///www.openoffice.org, which remains the end-user
> facing portal, the entry way to downloads, to support, to templates
> and extensions, etc.

Right, OK, but again, where will this and many other ancillary
openoffice.org sites (like the forums etc.) actually live?

> There are some services that have dual personalities, like bugzilla,
> which is used by users as well as those on the project development
> side.

-- more below....

> [...]
> something for arguing.  It is for doing.
>
>>> Furthermore, my attention is on the suitability of Apache ooo as a
>>> reference implementation with respect to ODF, with less emphasis on
>>> what it takes to continue OpenOffice.org a desirable and thriving
>>> software distribution.  I'm in favor of that.  It is not what my
>>> attention is on.  So this is not a balanced perspective.
>>>

> And why can't we do both?  Is there some reason why an application
> cannot both be a good implementation of ODF and also be a thriving
> product?  There are not mutually exclusive outcomes.
>

>>> Here are some loosely-conceived thoughts.  I don't have a clear or
>>> specific picture.  But I think the conceptual separation of ooo and
>>> OpenOffice.org is an opportunity that might unfreeze us from trying
>>> to move ahead under one giant lump.
>>
>> I agree...but...
>>

>>> I favor the idea of separating the "pure Apache-way" project effort
>>> and from the OpenOffice.org identity and "brand" as a broader
>>> umbrella for all of the variations that go into making end-user
>>> distributions, providing documentation materials, end-user support,
>>> and especially the various native-language efforts that are part of
>>> the OpenOffice.org ecosystem.
>>

> I've heard this idea put forward by LibreOffice supports as well.  The
> brand name of OpenOffice.org is very strong.  The web site gets a lot
> of traffic.  Far more than libreoffice.org.  Far more than
> symphony.lotus.com.  I think we'd all love a link from that website.
> Who wouldn't? If you look at other Apache projects you see that they
> are quite liberal about providing links to distributions of downstream
> consumers, including other ports, distros and derived applications.
> This comes with a disclaimed that these are not official Apache
> releases, but it does help give these other projects some greater
> visibility and "link love".  See, for example, this Subversion page:
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html
>
> As you can see, there is also some degree of co-branding.  So there is
> TortoiseSVN, uberSVN, visualSVN, etc
>
> I've always assumed we'd do something similar for Apache OpenOffice,
> provide links to other releases.  And if someone wants to call their
> release "SuperDuper OpenOffice" or whatever, then we'd handle that
> request via the normal process for Apache branding discussions.
>

>> HOW to do this? I mean from a practical, pragmatic perspective. How will
>> continued existence of what we might see as the "end user" OpenOffice.org
>> architecture (servers, administration architecture) be carried out? What
>> will we use, where will it be housed, how will it be administered it and who
>> will finance it? I am QUITE concerned about the existence of the current
>> site (on kenai). Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen a "drop dead" for
>> removal of OpenOffice.org from this platform.
>>

> We've had discussions on the list on migration, some details here
> (look at the website transfer row of the table):

Yes, I know about this and have contributed to this but it doesn't
really answer my question...where do we go?

The "user facing" sites are itemized in

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OOo-Sitemap

assuming you exclude development, distribution, and api (maybe others
related to direct development).

What is the suggestion to place this architecture elsewhere?