incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <Te...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: Questions: LAMP and PHPBB for OpenOffice.org
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:58:27 GMT
On 31/07/11 22:23, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote:
>
> (Taking Infrastructure off the cc.  We should go to them when we have
> something a bit more concrete.  Also, remember that we have mentors
> from Apache Infrastructure on this list.)
>
>> On ooo-dev, we continue to ponder how we can support the existing OpenOffice.org
web site and the subdomains thereof with minimal friction and maximum preservation of the
accumulated material.  Here is a thumbnail of what the objectives are:
>> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Transition+Planning>
 (with the understanding that development-focused aspects would move, at least in part, to
Apache locations from the OpenOffice.org location).

>> Assuming
>>
>>   1. That the OpenOffice.org domain lease is transferred to the Apache Software Foundation
>>   2. That sufficient volunteers come forward to support whatever the infrastructure
support requirements are, and
>>   3. There are no legal@ objections,
>>
>> Question
>>
>>   4. Is it technically feasible and acceptable to have, operating on Apache infrastructure,
the OpenOffice.org web site and subdomains as open public sites operating with software that
would otherwise not be very tasty on Apache (PHPBB which is GPLd and may have some customizations,
for example)?

We need to differentiate between software that Apache.org will formally
distribute to third parties (here licensing is a critical issue), and
software that it might use internally to deliver its own services such
as the provision of forums (Linux, MySQL, PHP, ...).  Here it only needs
to satisfy the terms the software licence and GPL isn't an issue.  So I
don't see any problems here for phpBB and MediaWiki. As to the OOo
forum-specific mods -- I wrote them all and Apache can have them under
any licence that is required.
> So you're asking a 1-sentence technical feasibility question for an
> extremely complex topic with no supporting proposal, plan or other
> supporting details?  What kind of answer would you expect to this?
> What answer would you give if someone asked you this question?  Would
> you expect anything but "well, it depends"?
>
>> I know that is very hypothetical in this form, but it is not worth navigating (1-3)
unless 4 would work at the end of the day.

> Doing 1-2 is what makes 4 possible to discuss.  And we should focus on
> 2.  If volunteers do it, then it is technically feasible.

Both the OOo forums and the OOo wiki can run on a standard LAMP stack.
I've pretty much optimised the forums for a LAMP stack; they need a
one-core equivalent CPU load and with 4Gb RAM enough is memory-cached to
have a tiny I/O load.

The wiki is a bit more of a hog and need 4-cores, but it currently
doesn't use a PHP opcode cache and this would halve this load.  Most of
the access is guest, so using a squid or varnish front-end will drop
this significantly.

The simplest way to provide this service would be to use VMs and AFAIK
this is a model that the a.o infrastructure guys understand.

Regards Terry