incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jhrecht...@web.de>
Subject Re: Converting the repo using mercurial's convert extension
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:42:06 GMT
On 07/28/2011 04:32 PM, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> --- On Thu, 7/28/11, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>>
>> [1] Note that with the map, it would also be possible to
>> reuse the old OOo-Subversion repo for the linear commits,
>> after all the hg repo was a conversion from the svn server.
>> This would save quite a bit of time.
>>

> I like this idea ... if the old SVN server is still available
> and we can do a progressive conversion of the rest of the Hg
> stuff we will save a lot of metadata that had previously been
> lost (plus we save conversion time).

It's still available: http://svn.services.openoffice.org/ooo resp.
svn://svn.services.openoffice.org/ooo

You can use svnsync to create a local copy of the rep. Will take a while :-)

> I suspect the original CVS stuff that was lost in SVN conversion
> is gone for good by now.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that it's still available somewhere. There have been
some CVSup mirrors of the stuff.

But, frankly, I can't see the need of having the CVS stuff at hand. It's
very hard to make sense of this historical data anyway, at least if you
haven't got a decade of OOo developer knowledge under the belt.

It's true that the conversion was lossy, but that was intentional! You
wouldn't believe how much cruft can accumulate in a decade of happy
coding. A full conversion of our old CVS repository into SVN resulted in
a SVN repository of about 90 GiB in size.

> Also, having the complete repository (with branches) in google
> code sounds like a good approach.
>
> Pedro.

Heiner

--