incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From florent andré <florent.andre-...@4sengines.com>
Subject Re: single repository status
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:16:39 GMT
Rob,

And others, because we have to choose an easy as possible and fast
solution for begin to play with code.

On 07/25/2011 01:33 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 8:22 AM, florent andré
> <florent.andre-dev@4sengines.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I also think that we need codebase in svn soon.
>>
>> Following your all pretty good comments, import a "perfect" hg history into
>> svn seems not to be quite easy... and will require works and effort.
>>

> I not yet convinced that this conversion is impossible.  But I am
> convinced that it is difficult.
>
>> As Michael Stahl says "Hg/git/otherDSCMs and SVN have fundamentally
>> different data models for representing branching/merging".
>> So hg -->  svn is complicated but hg -->  git seems to works pretty well.
>>
>> The main point is to have a way to lurk the history, and to host this
>> history into Apache infra in order to be Oracle's server shut down tolerant.
>>
>> So, what about this proposal ? :
>>
>> - ask infra to set up a special git ooo-history
>> - import only the main hg branch into svn
>> - if someone interested in a specific hg branch :
>> ** git checkout theBranch (from ooo-history)
>> ** svn create branch from trunk ( Btrunk)
>> ** diff Btrunk / theBranch for creating patch
>> ** apply patch on Btrunk
>> ** commit Btrunk
>>
>> Sure we will lost a lot of history in svn... but we still have it in git
>> ooo-history...
>

> In the above approach we would still have the history of the trunk in
> SVN, right? Or would we need to go to git in order to get that history
> as well?

I'm not an hg to svn expert so I don't really now... seems yes but have
to be confirm.

> Would this work as as a general approach:
>
> 1) Move forward with the trunk migration into SVN now.  This allows
> work on the trunk to go forward.  We have people waiting to start on
> this work.

+1 even if we can't restore all history (because we can have workarounds
with git and hg).

> 2) The CWS migration planning and experimentation can continue.  If
> someone is able to create tooling to make this possible, or finds
> another elegant solution, then we can migrate the CWS's over at a
> later point.

+1

> 3) In the mean time, if anyone needs to do work on a CWS, they can
> extract from Hg and work on it that way.   But if they want to merge
> it into SVN, then they will have to do some careful and manual work.
> This may be painful for some large CWS's, like the one Armin has.

Sure it will need manual work... but with the procedure I propose I
think that it's lower the bar :
 >> - if someone interested in a specific hg branch :
 >> ** git/hg checkout gitBranch (from ooo-history/needed cws)
 >> ** svn create branch from apache svn trunk ( svnBranch)
 >> ** diff svnBranch / gitBranch for creating patch
 >> ** apply patch on svnBranch
 >> ** commit svnBranch

And some work will still be needed for merging just created svnBranch
with trunk

> 4) If, in 6 months from now, or whenever Oracle wants to turn off
> their OpenOffice.org servers, then we need to have a solution for the
> CWS.  But we can wait until closer to that date.  Maybe by then Apache
> will support git, in which case the problem has solved itself.

I'm personally not really fan of the "wait and see" procedure... because
may Oracle will not ping us when press the "stop button".

Furthermore have a git (read only) ooo-history will make all already git
users happy.

There is someone from the infra here that can say if an ooo-history git
repo is feasible ?

what others think about that ?

++