incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Marcum <carl.mar...@codebuilders.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r793236 - in /websites/production/openofficeorg: ./ content/openofficeorg/svn-basics.html
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2011 13:54:47 GMT
Dave,

On 07/23/2011 10:51 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
> This is great!
>
> I like the discussion about the svn commit, but as I've been thinking about the website
version of this what I have been thinking about since I've never really done it is describing
how to use patch to apply a patch created with "svn diff". I have been doing research on the
topic and I see that there may be an "svn patch" in version 1.7, but I think we are at 1.6.

> I would like to improve the page as follows:
>
> (1) In the instructions about creating a patch:
> (a) Ask the for the directory level in the repository where the patch should be applied.
> One way to do this would be to save the output to svn info:
>
> svn info>  patch.info
>
> (b) A list of files to be removed, if any. (I've read that patch does not handle this,
but have not tested that information.)

> (2) Instructions to the apply a patch step should include:
> (a) Going to the correct directory level, possibly with patch.info.
> (b) Removing files, if that is part of the patch.
> (c) Running "svn status" to check for files that need to be added with "svn add"
>
> (3) Additional pointers to svn information like
> (a) http://tortoisesvn.net/
> (b) http://subclipse.tigris.org/
>
> What do you think?
>
> I probably won't get to it for about 48 hours.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

I think those are great improvements.

The svn-basics page currently isn't linked from the developer FAQ as
requested in the help wanted. Would you like me to wait until you've
made the change?

Best regards,
Carl