incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From IngridvdM <Ingrid...@gmx-topmail.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2011 08:02:00 GMT
Am 23.07.2011 23:47, schrieb Ross Gardler:
> (with my mentors hat)
>
> On 23 July 2011 22:08, IngridvdM<IngridvdM@gmx-topmail.de>  wrote:
[...]
>> people might be ill, people might be on a journey around the
>> world.
>
> Then when they return to their email they can make a case to the
> (P)PMC who can vote according to the normal rules of engagement. There
> is no need to keep the existing invitation open indefinitely and thus
> causing work for people trying to track this.

Reducing the workload is indeed a good reason for a deadline. Thanks for
pointing to this Ross! I somehow had thought it would be exactly the
opposite, that having this deadline would cause more work, but I now
think that I was wrong with that assumption.
So this feels like consensus now. :-)

Dennis, please accept my apologies that I haven't seen this clearer
before. I hope I am still allowed to suggest to add this rationale to
the reminder mail. An important principle of change acceptance is to
describe the reasons to the people. I really think that this would be
helpful.

A concrete suggestion:
Replace the sentence "We will then know not wait for it."
with
"We will then no longer need to track your status and will not send
further reminder mails to you."

Would that make sense?

[...]
>> Would you suggest to withdraw committer status if a committer is off for 1
>> months, two months, a year?
>
> It is common practice for Apache projects to periodically clear out
> their committer lists. People who are no longer active on a project
> are, in many projects, routinely moved to emeritus status. It is
> entirely possible that this project will opt to do the same at some
> point in the future (note committers who are moved to emeritus need
> only ask to have their commit privileges returned).

Ok, that was quite unexpected to me. But in another thread I have
learned now that this is done because of security reasons. I think that
is a good reason also!

I feel the rules that are in place at Apache are very good ones, as they
have been established with long experience and with good reasons.
Important is to get also those reasons over to the people I think.

So thanks a lot Dennis, Ross and Shane for helping to understand here!

Kind regards,
Ingrid