incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From IngridvdM <Ingrid...@gmx-topmail.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 16:29:36 GMT
Please find my comments inline.

Am 23.07.2011 14:45, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> I think Christian is right. It's about to close the gate for being a
> *initial* committer. Not the *normal* committer status.

I don't have gotten that wrong. I was talking about the initial
committers too.

> And for this we have to define a deadline. My suggestion is still end of
> July or latestly end of August.

No given reason has convinced me of the necessity of a deadline here.

> When you have entered your name on the list on the beginning and haven't
> answered back until today (even not to say "sorry, I need a bit more
> time"), then IMHO it's time for a deadline.
>
> Marcus
>

> Am 07/23/2011 01:29 PM, schrieb Christian Lohmaier:
>> Hi Ingrid, *,
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:37 PM, IngridvdM<IngridvdM@gmx-topmail.de>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I disagree with you in the opinion that the door needs to be closed
>>> some day
>>> and that people need to be sorted out. This can easily be felt to be
>>> very
>>> alienating, without any positive effect.
>>
>> I strongly disagree here. The door is not closed as written many times
>> already.
>>
>>> Lets choose the example that an initial commiter signs up the iCLA
>>> only next
>>> year. The reasons are pointless.
>>
>> No, not at all, you cannot be an *INITIAL* committer if you're not
>> part of it from the very beginning.
>>
>>> The ones that have signed the iCLA can simply fully work already. Those
>>> who have not signed the iCLA can contribute via mail and the user wiki.
>>
>> Yes. But not as *initial* committers.
>>
>>> So lets not waste our time with processes to prevent something that
>>> is of no
>>> harm.
>>
>> It is doing harm. Having "fake" committers/supporters that only exist
>> on paper is doing big harm (in perception, reputation of the whole
>> project).

There can be a difference in number between initial committers and
'completed' committers in both cases. Whether we put a deadline on this
or not does not change that.
And I think it is not ok to call those who have not completed the legal
paper work yet to be 'fake' committers.

Kind regards,
Ingrid