incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 15:23:45 GMT
Am 07/23/2011 05:11 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Jul 23, 2011, at 7:27 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote:
>>> Let me ask the question in reverse: how long do you think that we should leave
the door open, no questions asked?  Why?

>> I was thinking September 15th.
>
> +1 - That's about 3 months since the start.

OK, to come to a deadline: +1

Marcus

>>   If we have not heard at all from
>> someone it may be an indication that they are traveling, on holiday,
>> and don't have access to email.  August is a big vacation month.  So
>> I'd wait for that to pass.
>>
>> We should also consider the possibility that someone is not responding
>> for other reasons than vacations.  Maybe we have the wrong email
>> address?  Or they are confused by our notes due to language
>> differences?
>>
>>> Remember, Initial Committers are grandfathered in as committers and members of
the PPMC without being here and demonstrating commitment through their contributions.  It
is not even a matter of them being voted in based on existing reputation.  (I'm one of those
myself.)

>> Commitment starts with showing up.  I don't have problems with
>> withdrawing a committer invitation of someone who never shows up,
>> provided we have given them ample opportunity.
>>
>>> At some point, one wants to be complete with intake of initial committers and
working toward a full-fledged meritocracy instead. I suspect it is possible that the PPMC
will also shrink if those who are already on it do not eventually demonstrate a commitment
that would have qualified them in the ordinary way.

>> I'd do that on an entirely different timescale.  We have committers
>> with a range of skills and interests, and some of these will require a
>> full product cycle to show themselves.  For example, a UI designer
>> will be more active at the design stage, a QA person once we have a
>> build, a coder once we have source code, etc.
>>
>>> At what point does holding out that special status to those who have not shown
up become a point too far.  In this case, we are talking about folks who have not submitted
an iCLA and not responded to requests to submit them and, as far as I know, have not appeared
on ooo-dev.  Even if we withdraw the Initial Committer invitations at some point, there is
no barrier to becoming a contributor and demonstrating commitment to the project.  It's not
fatal.

>> Right.
>>
>>> I propose to ask each of these absent Initial Committers whether they intend
to submit an iCLA and how much time they want to do that.  It is a simple request.  There
are any number of possible responses.  I assume we will deal with the responses on an individual
basis.  If they do not intend to submit an iCLA, it would be useful to know, so we don't have
to be expecting them, watching for the iCLA to arrive, etc.

>> Good idea.  Another source of delay, in addition to vacations, is
>> corporate legal review, for those who need to go through it. For
>> contributors who jobs are transitioning, this may have additional
>> complexities.  I think we should be flexible in such cases.
>>
>>> My goal is having them show up.  And if they are not going to show up, I would
like to know that.  Then we can tell when we have a full roster of Initial Committers that
are ready and willing as they signaled they were.

>>>   - Dennis

Committer Status

>>> What is the technical or social stressor causing this issue to be framed in
>>> this time-sensitive language?
>>> Wolf

>>> I made the request to indicate whether they intended to submit an iCLA and
>>> how much time they would need (for whatever review reasons or other
>>> determinations involved).

>>> report whether they intend to actually become committers? It is about their
>>> commitment, it seems to me. And they always have the opportunity to become
>>> committers by showing up and contributing, the same as for anyone who is not
>>> an Initial Committer.

>>> individually and then send a follow-up to ones who have not responded at all
>>> indicating that the invitation to become committers and PPMC members is
>>> being withdrawn. (Assuming we decide to do that and set such a date.)

Committer