incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From florent andré <florent.andre-...@4sengines.com>
Subject Re: single repository status
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 12:22:37 GMT
Hi,

I also think that we need codebase in svn soon.

Following your all pretty good comments, import a "perfect" hg history
into svn seems not to be quite easy... and will require works and effort.

As Michael Stahl says "Hg/git/otherDSCMs and SVN have fundamentally
different data models for representing branching/merging".
So hg --> svn is complicated but hg --> git seems to works pretty well.

The main point is to have a way to lurk the history, and to host this
history into Apache infra in order to be Oracle's server shut down tolerant.

So, what about this proposal ? :

- ask infra to set up a special git ooo-history
- import only the main hg branch into svn
- if someone interested in a specific hg branch :
** git checkout theBranch (from ooo-history)
** svn create branch from trunk ( Btrunk)
** diff Btrunk / theBranch for creating patch
** apply patch on Btrunk
** commit Btrunk

Sure we will lost a lot of history in svn... but we still have it in git
ooo-history...
... And a new (hi)story begin in Apache svn ! :)

This will require infra to set up a special ooo-history git repos... but
if we are kind they may accept :).

What do you think ?

++