incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From IngridvdM <Ingrid...@gmx-topmail.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:37:13 GMT
Hi Dennis,

I disagree with you in the opinion that the door needs to be closed some
day and that people need to be sorted out. This can easily be felt to be
very alienating, without any positive effect.

Lets choose the example that an initial commiter signs up the iCLA only
next year. The reasons are pointless. Important is that there is no harm
in doing so! The ones that have signed the iCLA can simply fully work
already. Those who have not signed the iCLA can contribute via mail and
the user wiki.

So lets not waste our time with processes to prevent something that is
of no harm.

And let me say again I like the rest of your friendly reminder mail :-)

Kind regards,
Ingrid

Am 23.07.2011 07:45, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> Let me ask the question in reverse: how long do you think that we should leave the door
open, no questions asked?  Why?

> Remember, Initial Committers are grandfathered in as committers and members of the PPMC
without being here and demonstrating commitment through their contributions.  It is not even
a matter of them being voted in based on existing reputation.  (I'm one of those myself.)

> At some point, one wants to be complete with intake of initial committers and working
toward a full-fledged meritocracy instead. I suspect it is possible that the PPMC will also
shrink if those who are already on it do not eventually demonstrate a commitment that would
have qualified them in the ordinary way.

> At what point does holding out that special status to those who have not shown up become
a point too far.  In this case, we are talking about folks who have not submitted an iCLA
and not responded to requests to submit them and, as far as I know, have not appeared on ooo-dev.
 Even if we withdraw the Initial Committer invitations at some point, there is no barrier
to becoming a contributor and demonstrating commitment to the project.  It's not fatal.

> I propose to ask each of these absent Initial Committers whether they intend to submit
an iCLA and how much time they want to do that.  It is a simple request.  There are any number
of possible responses.  I assume we will deal with the responses on an individual basis.
If they do not intend to submit an iCLA, it would be useful to know, so we don't have to be
expecting them, watching for the iCLA to arrive, etc.

> My goal is having them show up.  And if they are not going to show up, I would like to
know that.  Then we can tell when we have a full roster of Initial Committers that are ready
and willing as they signaled they were.

>   - Dennis

Status