incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jhrecht...@web.de>
Subject Re: single repository status
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:16:55 GMT
On 07/20/2011 12:05 PM, Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Tuesday, 2011-07-19 23:26:48 +0200, Michael Stahl wrote:
>
>> unfortunately it seems none of the tools that convert from HG or git
>> to SVN can create SVN branches with SVN mergeinfo (necessary in
>> order to be able to merge the branches back into the trunk).
>>
>> there are some tools to convert from git that can create SVN
>> branches, but they leave out the SVN mergeinfo; apparently the
>> intent is to maintain a read-only mirror...
>
> I didn't dug deeper into this, but conversion from hg to git should be
> pretty straight forward and then there's git-svn, would that be viable
> to import branches as well?
>

>> basically we have these options for converting to SVN:
>>
>> 1. convert full history
>>     requires writing tool to create SVN branches and mergeinfo
>>
>> 2. convert trunk only, using follow-first-parent heuristic
>>     with hacks where we want to follow second parent instead
>>
>> 3. no history in SVN, just check in OOO340 tip
>
> I'd prefer #3 and have a read-only hg/git repository for cases where one
> really wants to lookup history. AOOo needs to get its code base going.

+1 for #3. We need the repository ASAP to get going. If we have to write
the conversion tools first we'll loose way to much time which could be
spent better on getting AOOo 3.4 (or whatever the first AOOo release
will be called) out of the door. A pity that Apache git support is not
ready for prime time ... would make things so much easier.

Heiner

--
Jens-Heiner Rechtien