incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: OOo Trademark
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 01:16:39 GMT
Thanks for the info.  Note that it would be helpful if people interested
in working with trademarks read the Apache policies, as well as our
growing list of FAQs:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/

Part of my strategy is to attempt to cover as many of the basic kinds of
uses with generic documentation, and to try to limit the number of
explicit agreements or specific grants that we give to third parties.

I.e. if we can clearly state in a policy that using our marks in manner
X is generally permissible, without having to fillin a webform or email
for written permission, it makes our life much, much simpler.  There are
plenty of uses of trademarks that don't require any permissions and are
not infringing - otherwise, how could I order a Coke (or a Pepsi) to drink?

For things like journalists writing an article about Apache products, or
individuals with personal blogs who just want to link to the download
page for a product - I'd like to be able to point to a policy or FAQ
that notes if they do it appropriately, no explicit permission is required.

Obviously with the userbase and reach of OpenOffice.org, we need to
consider how to manage the kinds of requests and the load of requests
going forward, now that we're becoming Apache OpenOffice.

- Shane