incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Marcum <cmar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SVN tutorial
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 02:06:19 GMT
Daniel,

On 07/18/2011 09:01 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> You probably don't want to reinvent the "How do I use the svn(1) cmdline
> client" wheel.  The svnbook and N other blogs and web sites already do
> that; pick one and run with it.  Erhm, link to it.

Since the task was to do a basic tutorial for this project, I didn't
think having only links to other sites would be appropriate, although I
tried to add those "for more information".

> On the other hand, you should probably mention that alternative clients
> (eg, tortoisesvn) exist.  Some people don't like cmdline interfaces.

I think this is a good idea. I was going to use the same link to a list
as the one here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#anon-svn
This is the link but it appears to have been removed.
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_links.html
TODO

> Also may want to discuss the workflow, contrast it with hg, etc.

That will require some more study or help as I've not used it yet.

> Daniel
>

> <wayita>  - windows: tortoisesvn, ankhsvn (visual studio .net) | cross
> platform: workbench, svn-up, subclipse (eclipse), supervision,
> subcommander, rapidsvn, jsvn, psvn.el, esvn, qsvn, eric3, kdesvn | OSX:
> scplugin, SvnX | *nix: KDevelop | If you're learning svn, it's easier
> for us to help you if you _don't_ use a GUI.
> (this is our IRC bot)

Thanks,
Carl