incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: A first try to remove some copyleft components from the build
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:58:32 GMT
Am 07/18/2011 10:04 PM, schrieb David McKay:

> On 18/07/11 20:50, Andy Brown wrote:
>> Mathias Bauer wrote:

>>> Giving it one more thought: it would be still a to do if we wanted to
>>> have a pdf import extension released by Apache. So perhaps a to do with
>>> minor priority.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mathias
>> If we do include the pdf import extension I would like to see it
>> rewritten to do a better job of importing. I have seen to many post in
>> the forums about the way that it works. My suggestion would be to drop
>> it completely.
>>
>> Andy
>>
> A lot of the issues I see on the forum regarding the PDF extension are
> to do with expectation. People seem to think this extension is going to
> give them a full-blown PDF editor with the capabilities of the Adobe
> tools. When they discover it is for tiny corrections and typo fixes they
> feel let down. That's not to say there aren't any bugs in it, there may
> well be. But I don;t think the PDF extension was positioned or described
> sufficiently to provide users with the correct expectations.

The intension was to show what is possible. On the extension website is
a note that the Beta status was left due to the positive notes we got
about the extension. But this is no promiss that its quality is like the
import filter for the documents formats for MS Word & Co.

The solution is not to remove the extension but to improve it's work.

Marcus