incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <>
Subject Re: A first try to remove some copyleft components from the build
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:21:44 GMT
On 18.07.2011 20:04, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> Hello Mathias;
> --- On Mon, 7/18/11, Mathias Bauer <> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I tried to get rid of some copyleft dependencies. As I will
>> leave for vacation on Wednesday,
> First of all, thanks so much for working on this!
>> I now send my first patch to the list so that others already
>> can have a look or even continue. I only did it on Linux so
>> far, of course we will need adaptions for other platforms.
> Not too many :-).
>> I created the patch from the hg repository of
>>, but the
>> differences to our still not existing svn repository won't
>> be huge, so
>> it should bring us a little bit closer to a "clean" build.
>> I also added some more todos to the wiki page.
>> Meanwhile the license information at
> I would like to add a couple more:
> 1) xpdf (GPL'd) is a run dependency, this is linux/unix
> specific. PDFBox may be a replacement.

This component is used for the pdf import extension, not for OOo itself.

The pdf import extension is not built by default, there is a configure
switch to enable it in the build. In that case xpdf would be required. I
think that this already fulfils the legal requirements that building
lgpl code must be "opt-in". So as far as I can see, this is not a "to do".

> 2) The build requires GNU cp, which is inconvenient for
> the BSDs and MacOS X:

I remember a lot of discussions around different ways to copy files in
the new build system of OOo. We can revive that and see where it brings
us. Nevertheless, I think that discussing GNU cp will happen on
usability grounds, not caused by legal requirements. I added this to the
todo list.

View raw message