incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jhrecht...@web.de>
Subject Re: *Solaris support - WAS What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 09:48:31 GMT
Hi,

every OOo 3.x milestone has been successfully built on Solaris 10 (x86
and Sparc). The autoconfig support might be slightly broken as we did
not use it regularly but this is easily fixed. Solaris 11 Express build
support found its way into the OOo 3.4 code line so it will most
probably build fine there as well. Of course, a Solaris 10 built binary
runs on Solaris 11 Express as well.

I can help out with Solaris x86 builds but I have no longer access to
Sparc hardware.

Heiner

On 07/15/2011 05:20 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Rob's traveling, so I'll try my hand at this.  (We're all new here, some are just newer
than others, but someone will have had experience with the OpenOffice.org Oracle/Sun projects
and may have some insight into what it takes to support Solaris distributions.)

> First, you're in the right place at ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
>
> The code base isn't here yet, so it is a little tricky what to do first.  How the code
will be used from Apache is different than how it is obtained and used from the current OpenOffice.org
site.

> I've never attempted what I am going to suggest, so we can hope that more experienced
point out the error of my ways.

>   - Dennis
>
> PONTIFICATIONS:
>
> 1. Diving all the way down,
>
> It seems like the first thing for you or someone working with you to do is find a way
to build a release on Solaris from the source code.  Since 3.3.0 was built for both Solaris
x86 and Sparc, you should be able to determine what it takes for that distribution (with integration
of all of the localizations).

> The distributions and the source code is available at<http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/stable/3.3.0/>.
 Look at the src_* files at the end.  Notice the significant size of the source code.

> Rebuilding an existing stable build is the easiest way to confirm that you have it working.
>
> You'll need to roam around the Developers information, including information about the
build environment:<http://tools.openoffice.org/build_env.html>.  (I can't vouch for
how current any of this is.)

> There will be differences on Apache, but the job there will be to replicate one or more
of the builds too, so your experience would be useful.

> You can count on source code being at Apache.  Who builds binaries and where they are
built and available is not completely resolved at the moment. There has to be some degree
of coordination, since a problem building for a particular platform can reflect back to the
source code and the associated tools.

> You can get more details by asking around here and maybe even on the Community Wiki.
>
> 2. Coming back up a few levels, there is probably attention needed at the deployment
and lifecycle level.

> As an OpenOffice.org Solaris user, you know what that was like and what the resource
specific to the distribution were and need to be.

> 3. The trick is to have those with the necessary skills and willingness to donate their
energies show up and participate as needed for the Solaris distribution(s).  It's all about
volunteers.

> My only suggestion there is to ask around on this list for those who have any experience
with the Solaris distributions, their construction and their support.

--
Jens-Heiner Rechtien