incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Committers and Contributors and PPMC
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:20:49 GMT
> My impression is that voting is done on the list with +1,0,-1
> tabulation.  That is how ballots have happened on the PPMC and it is
> how the ballots on the general@incubator are conducted.

Correct - in virtually all cases voting is done on the appropriate list
with +1/-1 (and various flavors of +0/-0 if you want to abstain).  Note
that having the vote results on the mailing list - and there are often
comments included in votes - helps the whole community, including
lurkers, to understand how and why decisions are made here at Apache.

Note that each (P)PMC ends up having it's own details of how it reaches
consensus on dev@ and private@ lists.  Some PMCs indeed only [VOTE] on
releases and new committers/new PMC members; for other decisions, they
have a simple discussion that continues until the general consensus of
the project is obvious (typically with more experienced PMCs).  Other
PMCs [VOTE] on a variety of issues including significant technical or
code changes.  Some projects use [VOTE]s, or even better, quick [POLL]s
just to gauge overall interest in specific new ideas or suggestions -
like "Hey, is it worth mocking up this crazy idea to see if we should
implement it?"

I think it will be primarily up to the actual committers on this project
to decide the general way that consensus is reached on this list.  Note
that in healthy projects PMC members and committers certainly do pay
attention to the votes of non-committers on the list!  However only
committers or PMC members (depending on the kind of vote) cast binding
votes, since they - especially PMC members - are the ones responsible
for managing the project.

I think an important concept to document well is that this is the Apache
OpenOffice podling.  While it shares most of the code and the
trademarks, and a number of the goals of the OpenOffice.org project, it
is *not* the same project, nor will it be exactly the same community.

We need to find a positive and helpful way to say that, so we can manage
expectations of the many past committers (or contributors) on the
OpenOffice.org project when they come here and expect the same abilities
to help manage this new project.

- Shane