incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache CMS Workflow and a Key Question
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 18:43:47 GMT

On 07/13/2011 10:17 PM, Arthur Buijs wrote:
> On 07/14/2011 01:25 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On 07/08/2011 01:39 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>>
>>> (5) When the contributor has updated content ready then they can
>>> proceed by according to (a) Non-committer - submit an svn diff as a
>>> patch. (b) Committer - perform an svn commit which triggers an actual
>>> staging build.
>>
>> OK, I, personally am still not thrilled about this approach. I think
>> before deciding anything, maybe someone can give us a count of actual
>> "content developers/admins/software developers" on the existing kenai
>> site -- this would be folks with direct "update/committer" rights in the
>> existing environment to see if we can get a breakdown of what there is
>> now at the openoffice.org and some idea of how it's being maintained.
>>
>> I'll be happy to contact the kenai admins and see what I can find out.
>>
>> If there was some way to use an alternate "something" to maintain the
>> "user facing" site, this would be MUCH better. Right now, I'm looking at
>> the "es" project on openoffice.org. There are 13 (out of 347 "es"
>> members) users with development access to this (web) site. These folks
>> have basically been working in this and only this realm. It would be
>> optimal to have some facility where these same folks, should they choose
>> to join say via an Apache wiki account or other mechanism, would be
>> given the SAME access as they have on the new production environment
>> without a lot of complication.
>
> Please explain what you mean by new production environment in the last
> sentence and how much more complicated it would be.

This applies to the OpenOffice.org website, nothing more.

Currently, the roles of "content developer"/"software developer" have
direct (was cvs, now svn access) to the area for their designated
sub-project. Not being familiar with kenai, I don't know details of how
this is controlled but I can certainly find out.

In the "new production environment", i.e. wherever the New
OpenoOffic.org "user facing web site" will exist -- initially there was
a suggestion to put this  as oru current incubator site --

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

if I'm not mistaken.

That new area requires an Apache committer status for direct access.

Dave's process regarding regarding a local test area for contributors on
their own box, making changes and then submitting them for actual
incorporation (if I'm understanding this correctly) is WAY more
complicated than the existing contributors are used to dealing with, or
would want to IMO. My point is the current "content developer" community
is apparently regarded as trustworthy in their particular realms.

Could the "user facing" web area be built using something like Apache
Cocoon (which frankly I know nothing about) or somehow set-up
sub-developer regions on the existing project so folks could get commit
rights but only on certain areas and use the GUI tool, which would be
optimal.

MzK

"An old horse for a long hard road, a young pony for a quick ride".
                                   -- Unknown