incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Commiters list
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:33:56 GMT
On 14.07.2011 19:12, eric b wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Le 14 juil. 11 à 18:50, Frank Peters a écrit :
>
>> Eric,
>>
>>> On this page http://incubator.apache.org/projects/
>>> openofficeorg.html ,
>>> there is a list of commiters. So far, I participated to the incubator
>>> project, and I thought I was counted in the list.
>>
>> are you a committer (i.e. do you have commit rights)?
>>

> I'm listed on the incubator wiki page : http://wiki.apache.org/
> incubator/OpenOfficeProposal
>
> As "Initial Commiter"
>

>>> Did I miss something ? How to be added in the list ?
>>
>> Become a committer. I think you will need to be invited by the PPMC.
>

> I'm not sure to understand the "not invited".  As reminder, I'm
> OpenOffice.org developer since 2005, and did a lot for OpenOffice.org.
>
> I really wonder what happens.
>

>> But for that, you will need to sign a CLA which you do not want to
>> do as you stated earlier.
>>

> In the current list, not everybody signed the ICLA, so why is it
> important ?

As I understood it, the "list of initial committers" is just a place for
a declaration of intent to become a committer, while the status of being
a committer is a specific role at Apache with its specific requirements.
Being on the initial list just saves you from needing an invitation to
become a committer, but you nevertheless have to sign the ICLA to become
a "real" committer.

You should read the ICLA carefully before you decide that you can't or
don't want to sign it. Simply put, it's not about copyright, just about
IP clearance and licensing. Both are important aspects of every software
project. It's understandable that the ASF does not accept contributions
where it is unclear if the contributor has the necessary rights for the
contributed code.

Regards,
Mathias