incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Malte Timmermann <malte_timmerm...@gmx.com>
Subject Re: Symphony contribution
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:20:44 GMT
Hi Erik,

thanks for clarifications :)

Some questions below...

On 14.07.2011 05:09, Yong Lin Ma wrote:
> We are willing to contribute the whole Symphony to community. The code
> would be available to the community. (The C++ part of Symphony, also
> the counterpart of OO.o in Symphony).

Maybe I misinterpret "The C++ part", but does it mean you will
contribute the changes that Symphony needs in the OOo code base, but not
the Symphony "Application" itself?

 From what I know, the Application and all UI (the "chrome") is written
in Java, and just embeds the OOo applications. So not contributing the
Java part would mean that the "praised UI" that Rob mentioned wouldn't
be part of the contribution...

> By far, we should focus on getting the first Apache OpenOffice release
> done.

Right! :)

> 3, A key performance improvement in Symphony is Async document loading for
> Writer and Presentation documents. User can see document content get
> displayed before the whole document content get loaded. It would be more
> difficult to integrate this into Apache OpenOffice than other features
> Symphony has

Isn't this a feature that's completely implemented in the OOo code base?
My assumption would be that this has no dependencies on Symphony related
code - but of course I am just guessing, as I don't see a reason why
such dependency should exist.

Last but not least I would like to add that it will be a pleasure for me
to continue working with your team on OOo! :)

Best regards,
Malte.