incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache CMS Workflow and a Key Question
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:25:38 GMT
Hi Dave--

see below

On 07/08/2011 01:39 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Kay's questions on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OOo-to-ASF-site-recommendation
> have helped me focus on how to enable website contributions.
>
> I really like the Apache CMS. Here is possible a workflow that would
> allow non-committers to be able to contribute patches to both AOOo
> content and the site build we implement over the Apache CMS.
>
> Workflow would be something like this:
>
> (1) Setup prerequisite software - Python-Markdown, DITA ...
>
> (2) svn checkout of the AOOo documentation / website repository
> including scripts.
>
> (3) Contributor edits documentation files - mdtext, html, javascript,
> css, dita(?), ....
>
> (4) Contributor performs test staging builds on their local machine
> in order to test the results in complete isolation. This is a
> critical requirement. We should want to allow non-committers to
> easily test ideas without needing a committer to hold their hand with
> every little design tweak they would like to try.

AMEN to this!

> (5) When the contributor has updated content ready then they can
> proceed by according to (a) Non-committer - submit an svn diff as a
> patch. (b) Committer - perform an svn commit which triggers an actual
> staging build.

OK, I, personally am still not thrilled about this approach. I think
before deciding anything, maybe someone can give us a count of actual
"content developers/admins/software developers" on the existing kenai
site -- this would be folks with direct "update/committer" rights in the
existing environment to see if we can get a breakdown of what there is
now at the openoffice.org and some idea of how it's being maintained.

I'll be happy to contact the kenai admins and see what I can find out.

If there was some way to use an alternate "something" to maintain the
"user facing" site, this would be MUCH better. Right now, I'm looking at
the "es" project on openoffice.org. There are 13 (out of 347 "es"
members) users with development access to this (web) site. These folks
have basically been working in this and only this realm. It would be
optimal to have some facility where these same folks, should they choose
to join say via an Apache wiki account or other mechanism, would be
given the SAME access as they have on the new production environment
without a lot of complication.

I'll look around and respond back to this thread and/or update what I've
already got on the wiki.

> Here is the question. What is the script that performs the staging?
> In the Apache CMS it is triggered by a commit, but for local use, the
> contributor has to run a version of that script. I know that it will
> somehow invoke one of these:
>
> ./site/trunk/lib/path.pm ./site/trunk/lib/view.pm
>
> Looking for the answer and also comments on this workflow.
>
> Best Regards, Dave

MzK

"An old horse for a long hard road, a young pony for a quick ride".
                                   -- Unknown