incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Malte Timmermann <malte_timmerm...@gmx.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:59:38 GMT
When just considering my own preference, w/o trademark implications:

+1 for "Apache OpenOffice", or for keeping "OpenOffice.org" to stick
with the well known brand.

As "OpenOffice.org" can't be used w/o the Apache prefix, this only
leaves us with "Apache OpenOffice".

+1 because I like it, and because I agree that most people never used
the ".org". Actually, some day I even wrote an email to our former Sun
CEO, to ask him to please write the OOo name correctly in his blogs ;)

BUT....

"OpenOffice" is probably still trademarked by other people or companies
in some countries, and I doubt that it really is enough to simply prefix
some others trademark with "Apache", to avoid trademark conflicts.

If there would be some new Apache project for a music library, called
"Apache iTunes", or "Apache iPod", does anybody here believe this
wouldn't be a trademark conflict?!

And if it is an issue, then it really doesn't make sense to further
discuss whether or not to drop the ".org".

The only trademark we have is "OpenOffice.org", and Apache requires us
to use the prefix "Apache", so what could the name be...

Malte.