incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 03:57:12 GMT
On 7/12/2011 10:03 AM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2011, at 13:32, Kai Ahrens wrote:
>>
>> Of course it makes a difference to ask our users instead of asking
>> some deeply involved people on this list, having very subjective
>> interests in one or the other direction.
>>
>> And in the end, the user rules, not any marketing speech.
>
> While that sounds good, I'm not sure it's the Apache way and I'd
> welcome a comment from one of the mentors.
>
> S.

The Apache Way is for the PPMC to hold a [VOTE] to decide.

In an established and healthy project community, typically the results
of a general discussion on a dev@ list are mirrored by the official
[VOTE] of a PMC on some issue.  However Apache OOo is still a pretty new
podling, so I think the ways that we do things are not as obvious or
clear-cut to all participants.

One key point is that the PPMC makes the final decisions on things like
releases - and project names (within Apache rules, however).  One
concept that will be important to understand with this quickly growing
dev@ community is the difference between binding votes and non-binding
votes.  Typically, only (P)PMC members have binding votes on major
issues; all other votes are non-binding. In healthy community, the
(P)PMC certainly listens to it's dev@ (and user@) communities, but the
(P)PMC makes the final decisions for the project.

So while we certainly need to understand that users are important -
because if no-one uses our software, it's not of much value! - I'd
change around Kai's statement to say that it's the project's active
community that rules here at Apache.  And that's a crucial thing for
this community to understand.

- Shane