incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Raphael Bircher <r.birc...@gmx.ch>
Subject Re: Extensions and templates site down
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 01:50:58 GMT
Am 13.07.11 03:21, schrieb Dave Fisher:
> On Jul 12, 2011, at 5:42 PM, Raphael Bircher wrote:

>>> Can you please explain the 'not good enough' and also propose an alternative
solution ?
>> You removed the answare. The fact that only Open Source extension are alowed is not
ideal. Everyone at OOo knows the storry about this topic. The wish to have only Open Source
extensions come from the FSF. This wish was refused by the CC of OpenOffice.org with good
reasons. I don't think, this reasons go away only because we move to the ASF.

>> A Extension Repository with only Open Source Extension makes maybe the FSF happy,
but do not cover our need. So this is one more time more a ideological question.
> +1 - We should attempt to have the most complete and agnostic registry of all extensions
and the most open collection of templates possible.

> I've asked the contact that I made last night at OSUOSL for two things.
>
> (1) Some statistics about the server.
>
> (2) Contacts at Sun/Oracle who were working on the performance issues - which involve
scale.

> With data we have a better idea of what infrastructure is required.
The site has a verry hight number of visitors. I think a CMS like Drupal
is not a good choice for a site like thise. We need same thing self
programmed only for this page. We need not a load of scripts for it.
It's a big difference if you ave a script with mayby 100 Lines code ore
you hav a CMS with thousands Line of code. Even Drupal is fast, it's to
slow for this service.

I'm willing to help there
> I think we need to find out from Legal if the ASF actually has an issue with hosting
differently licensed software on a machine that is not on the internet at *.apache.org, but
on *.openoffice.org.