incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kai Ahrens <kahr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:28:25 GMT
Am 12.07.2011 14:18, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> Am 07/12/2011 02:01 PM, schrieb Kai Ahrens:
>> Am 12.07.2011 12:30, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
>>> When the users actually do what they want to name the product and/or
>>> project, IMHO then there is no need to change anything that you cannot
>>> predict. Then we can stick with the known brand name and also avoid any
>>> legal problems with companies that use also "OpenOffice" as brand.
>>
>> I was just talking about using the .org or not. The full product name
>
> Yes, me too.
>
>> would be 'Apache Open Office' or 'Apache OpenOffice', of course. There
>> won't be any legal issues with this product name as the brand name
>> 'Oracle Open Office' has shown.
>>
>> For myself, I would go with 'Apache Open Office' instead of 'Apache
>> OpenOffice', but this would need some more discussion.
>
> So, when the .org brand name is after 10 years well established why
> should it be changed now? After all these mails I don't see a reason for
> it.

As said, I don't consider 'OpenOffice.org' (the product name) as an well
established product name among our user base. The established name
people use is 'Open Office'/'OpenOffice' and as such, this is a valid
reason for me to change this part of the name to the name we planned to
use in the beginning of the 'Open Office' project.

- Kai