incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Javier Sola <li...@khmeros.info>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 11:43:17 GMT
I agree with this.

This product competes with another one whose main disadvantage is not
having the name OpenOffice.org, and who is already producing working
software, more advanced that this project at this time, and getting the
favor of some distributions.

I work with both projects, and at this time stick to this one because of
the name (among other things), as it gives continuity to my work.

A bad technical decision made without looking at its marketing
consequences in a very large installed park could be the end of the project.

I also think that a branding policy made for incubator projects
(starting projects) cannot be applied to a solid project that has
already a very large installed park. It would be a pity to do all this
work and then not succeed due to a bad choice on the name. If Apache
forced this without discussion it would be a bad start for the project.

Javier Solá