incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Jopp <j...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 00:08:08 GMT
Am 11.07.2011 01:51, schrieb Dave Fisher:
> The domain openoffice.org will certainly be transferred to the ASF and the ASF will host
the website. There may be some subdomains that are externally hosted. (external to the ASF.)
as part of an overall openoffice.org community. The trademark will still belong to the Apache
Software Foundation.

> We are about to start moving OOo web content into the AOOo SVN.
>
> The website plan that is being contemplated is to build two sites within the incubator
site:

> (1) openoffice.org - marketing / languages
> 	www., why., <lang>., nlc. ....
>
> (2) ooo.apache.org - this project's site with OOo development / non-marketing projects,
efforts, etc.
> 	ooo is one possibility it could be openoffice.apache.org or openofficeorg.apache.org
or ... - we can decide at graduation.

> We should have tight branding connection between the two sites. Whatever we call ourselves
as a project we'll need to make sure we don't dilute the OpenOffice.org™. Instead we need
to enhance the brand.

> I think we all agree that Apache OpenOffice is less awkward, but have to acknowledge
that we may not be able to say "Apache OpenOffice™" worldwide and that is an expensive problem.

> Best Regards,
> Dave

Thank you for the clarification.
I'm not very eager to keep the .org - just wanted to see clear on the
legal side.

It is just confusing with all the different names.

Best Regards
Christoph

(with my Introduction still pending :-( )