incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Junge <peter.ju...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 15:52:15 GMT
On 09.07.2011 23:34, Danese Cooper wrote:
> If you want a legal opinion, please forward a request to legal-discuss@apache.org

No, I don't need a legal opinion because I'm not wanting to remove the
".org".

Peter

> My non-legal (and non-binding) response is that I believe OpenOffice.org is a valuable
(read:  "already paid for") worldwide trademark. We could seek to establish a new trademark
using Apache in the name to make it sufficiently unique, but the ASF doesn't normally spend
money to secure worldwide rights.

> By the way, HP is slip-streaming the common-knowledge popularity of OpenOffice...which
is a normal tactic...but they are doing so as a calculated risk. I'm betting Sun or Oracle
lawyers already sent warning notices, and we will probably have to as well (once we come to
own the trademark).