incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From David McKay <dmc...@btconnect.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 12:34:51 GMT

On 09/07/11 13:24, Peter Junge wrote:
> On 09.07.2011 20:02, David McKay wrote:
>> My preference has nothing to do with blogs, it is purely a naming and
>> branding issue. Formally, OpenOffice.org was always written as
>> OpenOffice.org by those who knew, but colloquially/informally it was
>> always talked about as OpenOffice. I agree we need to maintain ties with
>> the legacy and history of OpenOffice.org, but the removal of the .org
>> isn't going to jeopardise that.
>
> This was always a trademark issue, just two quick examples:
> Siemens has a trademarked product called HiPath OpenOffice [1],
> there's also a IT service provider in the Netherlands who has
> registered Open Office [2] and AFAIK there are many more to consider
> in other countries. We had exactly the same discussion a million
> times, which came always to the conclusion we *must* use
> OpenOffice.org. Please spare us the one million and first deja vu.
Point taken. But  at the same time, being new here, this is my first,
not my million and first :)
> Over the year we got used to it. The community that has landed on
> Apache's shores is the OpenOffice.org community.
Understood.

> As to the differentiation of OpenOffice.org and Apache OpenOffice.org,
> I would propose to use the latter for the project and the community
> now, but keeping the former for the branding of the product.
I can't help wondering though if HiPath OpenOffice is not a problem for
Siemens (and presumably other trademark holders)
why Apache openOffice would be/cause a problem for us.

But no one needs answer that - I'm done.