incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Junge <peter.ju...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 12:24:49 GMT
On 09.07.2011 20:02, David McKay wrote:
> My preference has nothing to do with blogs, it is purely a naming and
> branding issue. Formally, OpenOffice.org was always written as
> OpenOffice.org by those who knew, but colloquially/informally it was
> always talked about as OpenOffice. I agree we need to maintain ties with
> the legacy and history of OpenOffice.org, but the removal of the .org
> isn't going to jeopardise that.

This was always a trademark issue, just two quick examples:
Siemens has a trademarked product called HiPath OpenOffice [1], there's
also a IT service provider in the Netherlands who has registered Open
Office [2] and AFAIK there are many more to consider in other countries.
We had exactly the same discussion a million times, which came always to
the conclusion we *must* use OpenOffice.org. Please spare us the one
million and first deja vu. Over the year we got used to it. The
community that has landed on Apache's shores is the OpenOffice.org
community.

As to the differentiation of OpenOffice.org and Apache OpenOffice.org, I
would propose to use the latter for the project and the community now,
but keeping the former for the branding of the product.

Best regards,
Peter

[1] http://wiki.siemens-enterprise.com/wiki/HiPath_OpenOffice_ME
[2] http://www.openoffice.nl/merkenregistratie