incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Javier Sola <li...@khmeros.info>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:55:11 GMT
Why does the name need to be changed?  Is there any value in adding
"Apache" to the name?

I really think that the name is one of the most important assets of the
project at this time.

We have spent quite a lot of effort in the last few years promoting the
OpenOffice (or OpenOffice,org) name, to the point that it is part of the
approved IT policies of some countries.

I have worked to get OpenOffice into the textbooks of two countries...
and it would be a pain to explain to them now that Apache OpenOffice or
Apache Office will be installed instead, even if it is the same thing...
It was exactly the same problem as changing to LibreOffice, the name is
a key reason not to change.

If there is a technical problem with blogs... then it should be solved
technically, not by changing the name of the product.

Javier

Pavel Janík wrote:
>> Why? Out of the folk on the OOo forum who expressed an opinion to me, no one liked
it. It was a perpetual reminder that the product couldn't be called what they really wanted
it to be called: OpenOffice. I greatly prefer Apache OpenOffice to Apache OpenOffice.org.