incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ooo blog (was: RE: ooo-dev list subscriber stats?)
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 22:44:33 GMT

On 07/08/2011 03:05 PM, David McKay wrote:
> Doesn't the dropping of the .org imply renaming the product not just the
> project? The name of the product is OpenOffice.org because the name
> OpenOffice was registered elsewhere. If the new name was 'Apache
> OpenOffice' would that be different enough from the other OpenOffice (a
> company inthe Netherlands I believe) to not cause problems?
>
> Back when it was Sun's OpenOffice.org and then Oracle's OpenOffice.org
> the 'Sun' and 'Oracle' didn't make it into part of the product name
> itself. (I'm just curious. I'd like to see the back of the .org myself.)
>
> Dave.

Yeah, once upon a time, when you did a search on "Open Office", the
*other* office suite, whoever owned this brand, came up (like maybe 6+
years ago). Now it doesn't, but we should ascertain the status or
history of this before changing the product/brand name I think, just to
be safe.

> On 08/07/11 22:36, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> AFAIK we have not yet decided if we want to remove the ".org"
>> extension or keep like it was in the old project.
>>
>> BTW:
>> What will be the URL name?
>>
>> So, before a name will be setup we should clarify these things first.
>>
>> Marcus

MzK

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
  that 'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and
  I'll just start over kind of attitude."
                   -- "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose