incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Regarding the PPMC's Private List
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 21:00:14 GMT
Hopefully we've discussed this enough this week that people will start
to learn the rule of "it should always be on the dev@ list unless
there's a specific reason to use the private@ list", and that will be
sufficient for the time being.

On 7/7/2011 2:01 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton<orcmid@apache.org>  wrote:
>> -1 on that part.  Please God, treat us like adults here.
>>

> The analogy I had in mind was to official government committees and
> boards in my state, where they are required to conduct their business
> in public.  But they have the ability to enter a private "executive
> session". But before they may do so they must first state the reason
> why they are doing so, and that reason must be taken from a list of
> pre-defined statutory exceptions, for example, when dealing with
> personnel matters.  This helps prevent misuse of executive session.
>
> Although there are exceptions, most elected officials in Massachusetts
> behave like adults, even when they need to declare why they are
> conducting business in private.

Wow - where in MA do you live?  ;->  Sure, we have a number of great
elected officials in my home town, but we also have a few doozies as
well who don't always behave that well!  One of our boards simply uses
the same exact explanation of 5 different reasons every time - and the
chair used to be a *really* fast talker, so it always sounded like the
old Federal Express commercials.

- Shane