incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: DITA for Doc?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 12:59:09 GMT
On 7/7/2011 07:26, Mathias Bauer wrote:
> Moin,
>
> I know how the help files where written at Sun/Oracle: the writers took
> Writer for the text and used a set of basic macros to put some markup
> into the files. Then they used an xslt to convert the document into the
> xhp format.
>
> I can't speak for the help writers, but most probably that isn't
> necessary as we shouldn't ask those who created help content in the past
> but those who will do it in the future.
>
> IMHO using a well-established, maintained tool instead of a home brewn
> set of macros that probably has lost its maintainer would be a huge
> improvement.

While I don't oppose a change to DITA, I do offer another string to the
bow. One advantage of the Writer / macros method is that it greatly
lowers the bar to participation. Example: I volunteer to maintain the
macros (and at least help with the source) either for the interim, or
indefinitely. I don't know xslt technology, but I should be able to
learn as much as is needed, quickly.

> There's another aspect that we should see: extension developers might
> also want to add help content to their extensions. As until now there is
> no tool available for the public, extension developers had a problem.
> DITA would be an improvement for them.

The obvious alternative is to make the existing method public: create a
template with the Basic macros in a library, and make that and the xslt
down-loadable.

> ODT export from DITA wouldn't help as it would miss the markup that the
> help content provider needs. So either we had to convert from DITA to
> xhp directly or we had to rewrite the help content provider to support
> the DITA format.

Re-doing the help content provider is IMHO an excellent idea. Again,
there are two ways to go: a DITA provider, or an ODF (actually, .odt)
provider.

Mathias, you would know much better than I how feasible it would be to
use some kind of Writer window to display help. Without making light of
the technical problems, I am intrigued by lowering the participation bar
that far. Translators could work directly with .odt files. Users could
customize their own help, using Writer, and (we would hope) send us
their suggestions and improvements.

HTH. --/tj/