incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 12:12:02 GMT
Am 07/07/2011 11:25 AM, schrieb Graham Lauder:

> [...]
>>> as possible for someone landing on the homepage to have their OOo needs
>>> fulfilled!"  Downloads was one of those needs.
>>>
>>> There was a history to the "More Downloads" thing, in 06 I think it was,
>>> Sun decided to spend some money on promoting OOo.  Rather than giving it
>>> to the marketing project and letting us use it as best we could, they
>>> spent it with a promotions company to use on internet marketing (and
>>> gave the Marketing team a part of it, with the proviso that it be spent
>>> on promo materials, but that's another story.)  The promo company spent
>>> around 35K USD, IMS, on google keywords and the like on a "Pay on click
>>> through" basis. Clicking on a text ad or keyword sent people to
>>> download.openoffice.org.  The money disappeared fast, so there were lots
>>> of clickthroughs.
>>

>> Oh boy...interesting little known facts.
>>

> It was frustrating, we could have run a community driven campaign that
> raised brand recognition (always our single biggest problem) and we
> would have steered them to the Why.ooo page, build confidence in the
> brand and then led them to the download button, but someone in the
> corporate space somehow figured that dumping people straight onto the
> download page would turn into downloads, if only it was that easy.
>

>>>   However, the rate of download changed not even so
>>> much as decimal of a percent.  The promo company picked up their check
>>> and the value to the project was zero.  To me and number of other people
>>> in the marketing project, the reason was obvious.  The redesign of the
>>> homepage was a response to that failure, so that if ever they were that
>>> generous again we could say: "Just link to openoffice.org homepage
>>> because we have proved that it increases downloads."
>>>

>> Why wouldn't you design a homepage for "users" that makes it easier for them
>> to get what they need -- monetary contributions notwithstanding?
>> OpenOffice.org is first and foremost a "client" product.
>
> The confusion with the original design was the confusion over the
> definition of "User". Our problem is that our User-Base is diverse in
> terms of Internet sophistication.  The homepage in it's effort to cater
> for this huge diversity ended becoming too complex and confusing, a
> problem I foresee if we try to simplify everything too much. A maillist
> for devs is not the best place to have marketing discussions or users
> complaining that their download "doesn't work", or artists considering
> the aesthetics of different fontsets.

>> yes...I hope to investigate the Apache CMS capabilities in this regard this
>> week.
>
> I'm still in the committer pending box, as soon as that is actioned I'll
> get to grips with the CMS as well.  The initial homepage will be
> probably more informational than guiding people to downloads.  We could
> probably go with familiarity and substitute the download button for a
> "Countdown to Release" perhaps and link it to a blog, what do you think?

I know the bits behind the download website as I helped to keep it
running and have made some improvements. To install a countdown button
to show how many days until release is a good idea.

It should be clickable to link to a blog, announcement, release
schedule, whatever we will define.

I always liked the one from Fedora. However, currently there is none.

To get an idea here are some older ones:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F13_Artwork#Release_Countdown_Banner
http://fedoraproject.org/en/counter

> Play a bit of the MS vaporware game.  Trickling press releases,
> tantalising blog entries and so on!  :)  A bit difficult on public lists

Normally I would leave them alone in their self-created game. ;-)
But yes, for the initial release we need to push the news and press guys
to our project.

> it's true (which is why we had some private lists in the marketing
> project) but it's all about keeping the attention simmering.

I also think that mailing lists are not the best medium to "speak" with
marketing and news people outside. A single and easy to reach webpage is
much better.

Marcus