incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: fetch-all-cws.sh (was: Building a single Hg repository)
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 21:59:41 GMT
On 06.07.2011 18:58, Greg Stein wrote:

> The development process that OOo used to use, as I understand it,
> looks incredibly heavyweight and slow moving. At Apache, you commit
> your changes. If you have a large-ish feature you're unsure about,
> then discuss it on the mailing list, and (maybe) go start a branch. In
> many cases, it is possibly to develop even large features on trunk
> because you can "hide" it or make it have near-zero impact on the main
> trunk code.

There's always a trade-off. I agree that for many code changes the
development process of OOo was just too heavy. But OTOH it is a well
known fact that bugs are best found as early as possible. In a large and
complex code base with a lot of parallel work it happens too easy that
ugly bugs slip in and cause a lot of trouble for other developers or
even for users. Fixing them much later, when more code has been added
and the developer already has moved his mind to something else is much
more complicated. So a balance is necessary.

Perhaps looking on other large projects (Firefox, Linux Kernel ...) is a
good idea.

Regards,
Mathias