incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 08:56:49 GMT
Am 07/03/2011 07:43 AM, schrieb C:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 06:29, Graham Lauder<yorick_@openoffice.org>  wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 12:57 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>> Some projects are huge and others small. I downloaded several:
>>>
>>> wave@minotaur:~/ooo-test$ ls -1
>>> development
>>> documentation
>>> download
>>> projects
>>> www
>>>
>>> The size is 2.7GB.
>>>
>>> It would be good to come up with a scripted way to convert existing webcontent
to either mdtext, an altered html, or specialized javascript and css. It is likely we can
adapt the content and use the Apache CMS to wrap a standard skeleton.

>>> Regards, Dave
>>>

>> Much of what is on there is legacy material that could be seriously
>> pruned.  For instance all the old Marketing material that is V2.0 and
>> earlier could be deleted.
>>
>> Argument could be made for the marketing material to start from scratch.
>> Personally I'd like to see a whole new branding and get shot of the old
>> stuff, make the first Apache release: V4.0 (Historically, significant
>> global change has meant a whole number change in the version: V2 new
>> codebase, V3 Apple compatibility. I think this is significant enough:
>> pre V4 = LGPL license, V4 and later = ALV2)  From a marketing POV it
>> gives us a handle to hang a campaign on.
>
> The majority of the documentation project content is not really stored
> in the stuff that was downloaded in this test.  What you find in the
> web-content side is pretty much just pointers to the Wiki plus a few
> files here and there that are not in the Wiki.
>
> I would much more prefer that when the time comes to migrate content
> of the documentation directory, that I simply tag which files are to
> be transferred and the rest are pruned.  I have spent time cleaning up
> what's there, but there are still 10 years of legacy things still
> laying about, not used anymore.... stuff that should not be copied
> over.

I know that many things are simply outdated and could be deleted easily
without loosing value. However, when we grab the content from the Oracle
server, look into the content, and then decide if to take over and
publish or modify or delete, then we we have much to do and a longer
time no real content on our websites.

So, I would prefer to take over all content and make it public *) . Then
we can go through the content and add/modify/delete/whatever part-by-part.

*) After the license problems are solved.

My 2 ct

Marcus